MSO (Maritime Security Officer)
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
Designed for individuals wishing to operate or currently operating as Privately Contracted Security Personnel. The Maritime Security Operative (MSO) qualification is the only qualification based on the international standard for Private Maritime Security Companies (PMSCs): ISO28007 [Guidelines for PMSCs providing privately contracted armed security personnel (PCASP) on board ships].
This qualification is based on the competencies in the ISO PAS 28007.
Please note: the STCW Certificate of Proficiency (CoP) in Designated Security Duties (DSD) is a statutory requirement and port States will not accept the 8269 as an equivalent qualification.
Those passing this qualification will still need to apply to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for a DSD CoP.
It is aimed at Maritime Security Operatives (MSOs) wishing to operate or currently operating as Privately Contracted Armed Security Personnel (PCASP).
Anyone that wants to serve on a ship as security.
Ever dreamed of riding the high seas on a ship going to places that you would not normally book for your summer vacation? Well, this is the course you should enrol in.
The training is over 10 days and will reward you with your first seaman’s book enabling you to start your career at sea. Once you have passed this course you will be given the right tools to get yourself onto an interview for purpose.
This career is really a fantastic path to go down and although it is high risk with tension and constant awareness of threats, relying on your captain to make the right decisions in times of conflict is just one of the attributes you will need.
The main target of this training program is to provide its participants with all the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills to perform the duties of the maritime security operative in accordance with international standards and procedures.
In addition, participants will have the opportunity to take part in the “live vessel operations” module that will allow them to understand better the specificity of the maritime sector and the role of the MSO. The course covers all certificates which are currently mandatory to perform duties as Maritime Security Operative.
Minimum Required Kit List
- Tactical belt
- Knee and elbow protectors
- Long shirts suitable for an open sea environment
- Camouflage pants
- Tactical pants
- Shooting glasses
- Shooting ear protection like
- earmuffs, earplugs
What is not included:
- Level 1 Weapons Safty Online
*All prerequisite awards should not be expired
so please check the expiry date before applying
*All Candidates should have a reasonable level
of personal fitness
- Unit: The Maritime Security Industry
- Unit: Maritime Security Pre-Deployment Planning and Procedures
- Unit: Maritime Security Operating Procedures
- Unit: Maritime Incident Management and Post Op Procedures
- STCW Certification – all 4 modules:
- First Aid
- Individual Rescue Techniques
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Bridge and Vessel Familiarization
- RS Drills – Live counter-piracy drills on the board of the vessel
- Security Training for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties – Certification
- ENG-1 Medical Certification for Seafarers
- Tactical Shooting – Maritime Firearms Competency Certificate/ISO PAS standards
- Physical Training/Fitness
- ISPS Code and other documents relating to the vessel protection
- Final Examination/Bridge Incidents Simulation
- Rules of the use of Force
- Human Rights